/Police say Costa del Sol deaths tragic accident with no concerns over pool

Police say Costa del Sol deaths tragic accident with no concerns over pool

Bosses at the resort where a British dad and his two children died in a swimming pool have said Civil Guard investigators have found “no concerns” with the pool.

They put out a new statement this afternoon following Spanish media reports stating police were probing the possibility there had been a problem with the suction side of the pool circulation system.

The Civil Guard said earlier today they were keeping an open mind on what could have led to the three Christmas Eve deaths at Club La Costa World, a sprawling resort near to Fuengirola, ahead of the autopsies.

The pool is one of several on the resort but is not used as much at this time of the year because it is not heated.

Have you been affected by this story? Email webnews@mirror.co.uk

Spokesman JuanJose Millan-Finance Director Club La Costa
(Image: SOLARPIX.COM)

In an initial statement late yesterday resort operator CLC World Resorts and Hotels said: “Management at Club La Costa World resort would like to offer its heartfelt condolences to the family affected by the loss of three family members on December 24 2019.

“The guests were found unresponsive in one of the resort’s pools. First response teams and emergency services attended and administered first aid.

“The management are assisting the authorities fully with their investigation into the deaths.”

The tragedy happened on Christmas Eve
(Image: SOLARPIX.COM)

This afternoon they put out a new statement, saying: “All at Club La Costa World resort are devastated by the tragedy that unfolded on Christmas Eve where a father and his two children were found unresponsive in a swimming pool and despite the best efforts of our first response team and the emergency services, could not be revived.

“The Guardia Civil have carried out a full investigation which found no concerns relating to the pool in question or procedures in place, which leaves us to believe this was a tragic accident which has left everyone surrounding the incident in shock.

An investigation is underway
(Image: SOLARPIX.COM)

“Naturally our primary concern remains the care and support of the remaining family members.

“We would therefore request that their privacy be respected at this traumatic time.”

The horror incident happened around 1.30pm yesterday.

Police at the scene
(Image: Fernando Torres/diariosur.es)

The 52-year-old father and two children, a girl aged nine and a boy aged 16, have not yet been named.

The dad and his daughter were British but well-placed sources said the teenage boy was travelling on an American passport. They were on a week’s holiday in the area.

The family are said to be of Afro-Caribbean descent and from the London area.

A witness said the woman “stayed calm” as she touched her loved ones’ and prayed their hearts would start beating again
(Image: SOLARPIX.COM)

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

It is understood the dad dived into the water to help his daughter, followed by his son, after she got into difficulties.

Counsellors are now comforting the children’s mum and her other daughter.

An FCO spokesperson said: “We are offering assistance to a British woman following an incident in Spain.”

Original Source