/‘Angry’ tortoise, 45, rescued after starting house fire in Essex

‘Angry’ tortoise, 45, rescued after starting house fire in Essex


Angry tortoise starts house fire
Essex Fire and Rescue Service commented the tortoise looked ‘angry’ after the lucky escape (Picture: Twitter)

A 45-year-old tortoise had to be rescued after he managed to start a house fire on Christmas Day.

The reptile knocked over a heat lamp onto his bedding, which then caught alight.

Neighbours heard the smoke alarm sounding in the property near Uttlesford, Essex, and alerted firefighters.

They rushed to the scene and found a fire in one of the rooms and smoke filling the rest of the house.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and cleared the property of smoke by 4.50pm.

Afterwards Essex Fire and Rescue Service posted a picture of the unnamed tortoise, who appeared entirely unimpressed despite being saved.

They tweeted: ‘This 45-year-old tortoise might look angry but it’s his lucky day.

‘After he set his bedding alight his neighbour heard the smoke alarm and called us.

‘Our on-call crews left their families to go and extinguish the fire and gave him a very merry Christmas.’

Gary Wain, watch manager at Great Dunmow Fire Station, added: ‘This incident shows just how important it is to have smoke alarms on every level of your home.

‘Even if you’re not home they will alert anyone close by to the first sign of fire.

‘This tortoise has had a very lucky Christmas Day – he is 45 years young and will now hopefully continue to live a long and happy life.’

Original Source