IRANIAN mobs were filmed chanting “Death to England” after Tehran launched missile strikes on two Iraqi bases housing British and US soldiers last night.
The crowd also chanted “Allahu Akbar” (God is great) and “Death to Israel” as the news of the twin attacks broke.
Referring to the Ain al-Asad airbase a military official announced: “At 1.30 in the morning today, it was hit by several missiles.”
The crowd then chant “Allahu Akbar” as the official added: “Their second base near Erbil was also hit at the same time.”
The audience responded by chanting “Death to England” and “Death to Israel” as Iranian leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned that this is “just the first step”.
What happened last night
The strikes were codenamed Operation Martyr Soleimani – in reprisal for the killing of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani in a US air raid last week.
Ten of the ballistic missiles struck the Al Asad Airbase in Iraq, one hit the town of Erbil, and four others were unsuccessful in hitting their targets, according to a US official.
Iranian state TV claims 80 “American terrorists” were killed in the strikes but US officials insist there are no reports of casualties and says troops were able to hide in bunkers.
It also said Iran had identified 100 targets in the region that would be targeted were the US to hit back following last night’s attack.
Just hours later a Ukranian International Airlines plane mysteriously crashed after take-off from Tehran killing all 176 onboard including three Brits, 63 Canadians, 82 Iranians, 10 Swedes, three Germans.
Iranian officials claim that the plane suffered technical difficulties in spite of being built in 2016 and checked only two days ago.
There is speculation that it could have been shot down by anxious Iranians.
The UK condemns the ‘reckless’ attack
Foreign secretary Dominic Raab has slammed Iran after the attack and the plane crash that killed three Brits.
Mr Raab said this morning: “We condemn this attack on Iraqi military bases hosting Coalition – including British – forces.
“We are concerned by reports of casualties and use of ballistic missiles.
“We urge Iran not to repeat these reckless and dangerous attacks, and instead to pursue urgent de-escalation.
“A war in the Middle East would only benefit Daesh and other terrorist groups.”
Iran’s foreign minister Javad Zarif called the attack a proportionate measure in self-defence and said he doesn’t want the situation to escalate.
Zarif tweeted: “We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.”
And Iran’s ambassador to the UK, Hamid Beidinejad added: “Iran in an act of self-defence as enshrined in the UN Charter, attacked two US military bases.
“Iran does not seek escalation or war.
“Our armed forces are quite ready to forcefully respond against any adventurism. Iran’s People and government are fully behind their armed forces.”
President Trump took to Twitter on Tuesday night to respond to the Iranian missile attack.
He wrote: “All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now.
“So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!”
Mr Trump announced he will be making a statement on the issue on later today.