Harry and Meghan withdraw line on website claiming they are ‘internationally protected people’ and entitled to bodyguards wherever they go
- There has been a growing row about who will pick up the couple’s security bill
- The Sussexes made the claim on their website when it launched last Wednesday
- Legal expert said they mistook that they would get protection wherever they live
Harry and Meghan were forced to withdraw a claim they were ‘internationally protected people’ entitled to bodyguards wherever they go, it emerged yesterday.
There has been a growing row about who will pick up the couple’s annual security bill as they split their time between the UK and Canada.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (pictured in London last week) made the claim on their website Sussexroyal.com when it launched last Wednesday. But the phrase was later deleted
But the phrase was deleted hours later.
Yesterday a legal expert said the couple made a mistake in presuming they would get protection wherever they live if they are no longer carrying out royal duties.
Dai Davies, a former chief superintendent who led the Metropolitan Police’s royalty protection unit, added: ‘Their naivety beggars belief. I have never heard of the phrase ”internationally protected people”.
As far as I can see there is no such thing when you are no longer performing royal duties.’
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle spent their first Christmas with baby Archie in Mille Fleurs, $14.1 million waterfront mansion near Victoria, British Columbia. She has been staying there since she left the UK last week