/Armed police rush to reports of man on Shrewsbury Tesco roof with a gun

Armed police rush to reports of man on Shrewsbury Tesco roof with a gun

Armed police swooped on a Tesco store after reports of a man with a gun on the roof.

Marksmen reportedly surrounded the Tesco Extra in Shrewsbury and a police cordon was put in place.

Officers were pictured at the scene, in Shrewsbury, as they searched the area at around 4pm today.

One witness wrote on Twitter: “Yeah we live over the road, armed police everywhere, helicopter out. They’ve shut roads off and locked everyone who was in Tesco inside for their safety.

“Man on the Tesco petrol station roof and Tesco roof, with guns, not sure if they’re police or bad guys!! #shrewsbury#tesco

An armed police officer at the scene

Susan Jones told Mirror Online: “We’ve just left the Tesco.

“They were allowing customers to pay and leave but had stopped anyone else coming in. Armed Police were setting up outside when we arrived.

“Saw 4 or 5 in different spots surrounding the store. 1 came in and went to the back of the store then we heard the helicopter.

Police were called to the supermarket at around 4pm
(Image: Shropshire Live / Twitter)
There was a heavy police presence at the scene
(Image: Shropshire Live)

“Incident is in the back of the Tesco store according to staff and no staff were allowed into the warehouse.

“Was a very odd experience shopping having seen the armed presence outside – but we figured if it was super serious they’d have evacuated immediately.

“When we came out armed balaclaved (sic) police everywhere stopping cars and foot pedestrians going onto the car park. Surrounding business also closed.”

A man with a gun is on the roof of a Tesco in Shrewsbury, according to reports

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

West Mercia Police said it had received reports of a man wielding a firearm on the roof of the supermarket.

Superintendent Jim Baker said: “We take all reports involving firearms incredibly seriously and as such armed officers were deployed to the area and a cordon put in place.

“An extensive search has been carried out by officers on the ground, the police helicopter and a fire and rescue service drone and we’re satisfied the call was made in good faith and have been able to discount the information we initially acted on.

“I’d like to thank members of the public as there was an increased police presence in the area with some disruption to local residents. The cordon has now been lifted however regular patrols will continue to be carried out in the area to offer reassurance to the local community.”

Original Source