LORD Lucan is alive and living in secret as a Buddhist in Australia – according to the son of the nanny he is suspected of killing.
Neil Berriman says the missing peer is virtually housebound and hiding out in a shared detached house in the suburbs.
The father-of-two says the toff, who vanished after the bloody murder of Sandra Rivett in 1974, is currently awaiting major surgery.
After informing Scotland Yard’s Cold Case Unit of his findings, he told the Mirror: “I know he’s still alive.”
He claims he told officers: “I believe I have tracked down the man…who murdered my mother.”
The 52-year-old building contractor claims ‘Lucky’ Lucan based himself in Perth on arrival down under, but moved after a row with his pals.
Mr Berriman says the upper-crust killer has now hooked up with two fellow Brits he met at Buddhist retreat 11 years ago.
On November 7 1974 it’s alleged that Lucan went to the family home and bludgeoned his children’s nanny, Sandra Rivett, to death with a lead pipe.
It’s thought he may have mistaken the nanny, 29, for his wife, then 37, who was also attacked at the Belgravia mews house and fled to a nearby pub.
The Countess – who had been involved in a custody battle with her estranged husband – survived and would later identify Lucan as her attacker.
Lucan – who would be 85 if alive now – vanished soon after the attack and his disappearance has remained a mystery for more than 40 years.
In that time there have been numerous alleged sightings of Lucan including in Africa, India, and New Zealand but none have ever been verified.
In 1975 an inquest jury ruled that he had killed Ms Rivett.
Lucan was legally declared dead in 1999 but no formal death certificate was issued until 2016, nearly 42 years after he vanished.
However, in February 2018, Scotland Yard detectives said that Lord Lucan could still be ALIVE and remains a suspect in the murder.
How many sightings of Lord Lucan have their been?
In the more than 40 years Lord Lucan has been missing there have been numerous alleged sightings him including in Africa, India, and New Zealand but none have ever been verified.
Following the attack he drove to a friend’s house in Sussex and told family members he would be lying low for a while as his wife believed he had taken out a hit on her.
Three days later his car was found abandoned at Newhaven cross-channel port in East Sussex.
There have been many theories about his fate as well as alleged sightings but it remains a mystery.
The first sighting of Lucan in January 1975 was in Melbourne with subsequent reports coming in from France, New Zealand and Ireland.
Some leads have been followed up with fingerprints from a beer glass in Cape Town checked by cops, as well as bank accounts in South America.
In 1996 it was suggested Lucan had been discovered living in Goa under the name “Jungle Barry”, until the elusive figure was recognised as a banjo player and life-long hippy from the north of England.
An ex-detective said a credible sighting was reported in Africa and in 2012 a woman who worked for Lucan’s friend John Aspinall claimed his children had been flown to the continent so he could view them “from a distance, reports the BBC.
Metropolitan Police chiefs claim there is no “evidential or tangible proof” of his death – even though the peer has been declared legally dead twice.
It has always been thought possible that powerful friends may have helped him escape to avoid a lengthy prison sentence.
Mr Berriman’s quest to track down Lucan began 12 years ago when he found out he was Sandra Rivett’s secret son, who had been adopted shortly after birth.
The boy with no face
After receiving a letter claiming the peer was still alive he decided to spend £30,000 of his own cash on a private investigation.
Mr Berriman, who lives in Milland, West Sussex, said: “He has been alive all this time. Lying about who he is. Lying about it to his new friends.
“There is absolutely no doubt in my mind he escaped that night, with the help of friends who helped him get across the Channel and get a new passport.”