/The convicted terrorists who could be released in the coming months

The convicted terrorists who could be released in the coming months

After the Streatham terror attack at the weekend, the prospect of further terrorists being released in the next month has led to the government attempting to bring in new legislation to keep them behind bars.

Terrorist Sudesh Amman stole a knife from a shop and began stabbing people in London in just 60 seconds on Sunday afternoon, police said.

Two people were injured when the 20-year-old launched the attack just 10 days after being released from prison for terror offences.

Amman was shot dead by armed officers.

It followed the London Bridge terror attack in November 2019, when Usman Khan killed two people and stabbed others when he went on the rampage in Fishmongers’ Hall shortly after his release on licence.

Now, according to reports by the Henry Jackson Society and The Times, the convicted terrorist prisoners who could soon be released include:

Mohammed Ghani, from Barnet, North London, who was jailed for two years and four months in May 2019 after threatening to kill police officers.

He admitted eight counts of possession of terrorist material after downloading the al-Qaeda magazine Inspire.

Scotland Yard said at the time that 28-year-old Ghani was arrested by police at his home on January 12 2019 after he made 999 calls to the anti-terrorist hotline in which he claimed he would kill people or police officers.

He was in the intervention programme, known as Channel, at the time after he had previously expressed extremist views.

Contents of Jamshed Javeed’s ‘go bag’ he prepared to take to Syria

Jamshed Javeed, a radicalised chemistry teacher who taught in Bolton and is from Manchester, was jailed for six years in March 2015 for planning to travel to Syria to join Islamic State.

He was due to travel to the war-torn state in late 2013, but his plans were thwarted when his family hid his passport.

Jamshed Javeed pictured in September 2013

He persisted, even after learning his wife was expecting their child, was arrested hours before he was to leave the UK.

In his basis of plea, he insisted he was only travelling to Syria to “support the people” and not to “join the terror group”.

Mohammed Khiliji, from north west London, was sentenced to five years in jail in June 2018 after he was found guilty of posting beheading videos on WhatsApp, as well as footage giving advice on how to make a car bomb.

Police outside a bail hostel in Leigham Court Road, Streatham where Amman had been staying
(Image: PA)

He came to the attention of police initially after he digitally altered footage of a war game video to make it appear that the featured soldiers were IS fighters, and then posted a clip on YouTube.

Read more of today’s top stories

Khiliji, then 19, had superimposed black Isis flags on the Battlefield game and overlaid it with a terrorist-supporting song and a quote from an IS propaganda magazine.

Counter Terrorism Policing said officers found videos on his phone and computer, including one which featured footage of the Westminster terror attack in 2017. The footage concluded by offering advice on preparing a vehicle-borne bomb.

Atiq Ahmed, 35, who has been jailed for having Islamic State propaganda on a computer
(Image: GMP)

Mohammed Zahir Khan, a shopkeeper from Sunderland, posted messages and material supportive of IS on social media and was jailed for four-and-a-half years in May 2018.

The father of one, who is originally from Birmingham, had served long sentences previously for drugs supply offences and had moved to the north east to get away from gangs.

But he spread hatred on Twitter saying: “death to shias… death to every single one of them.” He also described them as “dirty and filthy shiite scum” and demanded they were burnt alive.

Atiq Ahmed, 35, from Oldham, is due to be released next month after he was convicted and jailed was found guilty of disseminating terrorist publications, under Section 2 of the Terrorism Act 2006, at The Old Bailey. 

He was originally sentenced at The Old Bailey to two years and six months in prison, in 2015.

Police were called to his home in relation to a domestic incident. While there, his family members said he had been viewing extremist material online.

He became aggressive and threatened to kill police.

His phone and laptop were seized and hundreds of extremist files found.

Police said it was “clear that he is more than just curious about terrorism” and “he is in fact a supporter of Islamic extremism.”

In September 2018, Ahmed was jailed again after religiously abusing staff at a school in Oldham.

He admitted five counts of possessing information likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terorism.

Police found extremist material on devices, including a computer tablet that had been dumped in his kitchen bin.

It contained several issues of a terrorist magazine that had articles on terrorist tactics and bomb-making instructions.

He was given a 10-year criminal behaviour order, which will come into effect after his release.

Under the order, he will be compelled to give police access to any devices on demand to see if he is accessing extremist material.

Original Source