Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced in January they would step away from the roles as senior royals to carve out a more “progressive” position for themselves within the Royal Family. But after claiming they would continue to represent the Queen on a smaller number of occasions, Buckingham Palace confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will no longer work on behalf of Her Majesty once the new system comes into effect later in the spring. Political commentator Suzanne Evans suggested the move was the result of Meghan and Harry “making every mistake in the book” when unveiling their plans for the future.
Speaking to Good Morning Britain, Ms Evans said: “It’s a classic example of how not to set up a business.
“They’ve made every mistake in the book. They built this website in secret, suddenly launching it on an unsuspecting world.
“And of course the Royal Family went, ‘oh, what? Stop? No, it’s not going to happen’.”
She added: “You can’t trade on the royal brand, it’s an institution.”
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have been warned they made
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are reported to have been banned from using the Sussex Royal brand
Meghan and Harry are believed to have hoped to build on the fame of the Sussex Royal brand to launch their new foundation later in the spring.
But the Queen warned the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to shelve their plans as she informed them they could not use their connection to the Royal Family now they announced they will no longer be working royals.
Her Majesty and senior royal officials are believed to have told the Duke and Duchess of Sussex the term “royal” is inconsistent with their “branding”.
Meghan and Harry have spent thousands of pounds trademarking the name and also use ‘SussexRoyal’ on their Instagram page, which has a whopping 11.2million followers, and their website.
The Queen reportedly “put her foot down” over the use of the Sussex Royal Brand
Sky News correspondent Rhiannon Mills suggested the decision to ban Meghan and Harry from using the Sussex Royal brand was the result of the Queen “putting her foot down.”
Ms Mills said: “There are reports in some of the papers this morning saying the Queen, in essence, has put her foot down and said, ‘you can’t use that royal title as well as go out and become financially independent because it may look like you are trying to get money out of using that brand.’
“Nothing has been confirmed by the Palace, we are still waiting to find out how exactly they are going to brand their charity going forward.
“What a Palace source has said, as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are stepping back as senior members of the Royal Family and work toward financial independence, the use of the word royal in this context needed to be reviewed.”
Prince Harry vows to campaign for better care for military veterans [INSIGHT]
Zara Tindall heartbreak: How Peter Phillips divorce could upset Zara [INSIGHT]
Prince Harry fears as ‘isolated’ Duke could lose Royal Family support [ANALYSIS]
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex admitted to struggling with the pressure faced in their roles
Meghan and Harry announced they would quit their roles four months before their second wedding anniverary
Last month, the Palace confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would no longer use their HRH titles from the spring.
In a statement released on January 18, read: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives.
“As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties.
“With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.”