The total number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in Italy has jumped by almost 5,000 overnight.
The total number of confirmed cases rose to 63,928 from 59,138, in the country which has become the epicentre of the outbreak.
However, the rate of people dying appears to be slowing down, after the number rose by 602 to 6,078 on Monday, said Italian officials. Although this is an 11 per cent increase, it but the smallest rise in numerical terms since Thursday, suggesting a clear downward trend.
On Sunday, 651 people died, followed by 793 on Saturday and 627 on Friday. Meanwhile, of those originally infected nationwide, 7,432 had fully recovered on Monday compared to 7,024 the day before.
Last week, a 95-year-old grandmother became the oldest woman in Italy to recover from the virus.
Alma Clara Corsini was admitted to hospital in Pavullo, in the northern province of Modena, on March 5.
However, at the weekend Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said the country is living through ‘its gravest crisis since World War II’ and pledged to tighten the nationwide lockdown.
He said he would look to shut down all production facilities except those that are ‘necessary, crucial, indispensable to guarantee essential goods’.
Doctors across the country, many of whom have come out of retirement to help, have been working around the clock to keep patients alive as hospitals reach breaking point.
Many have shared images of their bruised faces from wearing the protective masks during gruelling shifts spanning double figures, while one said he and his colleagues are ‘at the end of their strength’.
They have also spoken of the heartbreak of watching patients die without friends and family by their side – a necessary measure to help contain the spread of the virus.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at email@example.com.
For more stories like this, check our news page.