/Boris Johnson to come out of COV19 isolation on Friday – despite doctors plea

Boris Johnson to come out of COV19 isolation on Friday – despite doctors plea

Boris Johnson is expected to leave self-isolation on Friday, despite pleas from doctor and Labour MP Rosena Allin-Khan to stay away from people for another seven days.

The Prime Minister’s spokesman confirmed that Mr Johnson intends to leave isolation in No 11 Downing St at the end of the week, after testing positive for Covid-19 last Thursday night.

Mr Johnson’s spokesman today said he had mild symptoms and “that remains the case”.

The spokesman added: “Obviously we’re following the guidelines which say you need to self isolate for 7 days.”

Dr Allin-Khan, said on Sunday that the PM should double his isolation to 14 days in line with World Health Organisation guidance.

Boris Johnson has only shown ‘mild symptoms’ according to Downing St
(Image: FACUNDO ARRIZABALAGA/POOL/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock)

But the current UK guidance says people with symptoms should isolate for seven days, or 14 days for entire households.

Asked if the PM was still hoping to be out on Friday his spokesman said: “That’s the guidance that we’re working to.”

But the Tooting MP has repeatedly demanded that Mr Johnson should double the amount of time he plans to spend in self-isolation.

Dr Allin-Khan, who has been doing shifts in St George’s Hospital in south London, has  said that infected ministers – Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock – should set an example by following the best  international advice.

Dr Rosena Allin-Khan, who is Labour MP for Tooting, has said the PM should follow WTO health guidelines
(Image: Steve Bainbridge)

Read More

Coronavirus government action explained

Dr Allin-Khan  has said the UK should change its advice, and follow the World Health Organisation  guidance which calls for people showing symptoms to self-isolate for 14 days.

“I would like the Prime Minister to self-isolate for 14 days,” she told Sky News on Sunday

“I’m deeply concerned the advice we’re giving is not in keeping with what the WHO are saying – they’re saying you can continue to spread the virus long after the symptoms are gone.”

It came as Downing Street said it was confident its communications links were secure after the first Cabinet meeting where all ministers dialled in as part of the effort to limit the spread of coronavirus.

Concerns have been raised about the apparent use of Zoom to conduct the meetings after the use of the software by Ministry of Defence staff was suspended last week while “security implications” were investigated.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “I don’t think we have named the particular video conferencing tool that we have been using, but as you would imagine we ensured that it was done in a secure way.”

Downing Street was “following all necessary security procedures” and “I am happy to say with confidence we were satisfied it was secure”, the spokesman added.

Original Source