/Meghan Markle releases statement as she loses first High Court challenge

Meghan Markle releases statement as she loses first High Court challenge

A statement released on behalf of Meghan Markle after she lost the first round of her High Court battle against a newspaper claims the Duchess’s rights were “violated”.

The statement was put out by Schillings, who are acting on behalf of Meghan and Prince Harry after they quit the royal family.

She is taking legal action against the Mail on Sunday over its publication of a “private and confidential” letter to her estranged father Thomas Markle.

A judge has struck out allegations in the Duchess of Sussex’s privacy claim against Associated Newspapers in the first ruling in the case, but kept the door open for those parts to be revived.

Meghan’s statement said: “Today’s ruling makes very clear that the core elements of this case do not change and will continue to move forward.

Meghan is taking legal action against the newspaper
(Image: Getty Images)

“The duchess’ rights were violated; the legal boundaries around privacy were crossed.

“As part of this process, the extremes to which the Mail on Sunday used distortive, manipulative, and dishonest tactics to target the Duchess of Sussex have been put on full display.

The statement added: “Whilst the judge recognises that there is a claim for breach of privacy and copyright, we are surprised to see that his ruling suggests that dishonest behaviour is not relevant.

“We feel honesty and integrity are at the core of what matters; or as it relates to the Mail on Sunday and Associated Newspapers, their lack thereof.

The Sussex family are now living in LA
(Image: PA)

“Nonetheless, we respect the judge’s decision as the strong case against Associated will continue to focus on the issue of a private, intimate and hand-written letter from a daughter to her father that was published by The Mail on Sunday.

“This gross violation of any person’s right to privacy is obvious and unlawful, and The Mail on Sunday should be held to account for their actions.”

Meghan is suing the publisher over five articles – two in the Mail on Sunday and three on MailOnline – which were published in February 2019 and reproduced parts of a handwritten letter she sent to Thomas Markle in August 2018.

Thomas Markle has recently opened up about his troubled relationship with Meghan
(Image: Channel 5)

A preliminary hearing in the case, in which lawyers for the publisher asked for parts of the duchess’s case to be struck out, was conducted remotely last week, with the judge sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice in London and lawyers and reporters attending remotely.

Associated Newspapers asked Mr Justice Warby to strike off the following allegations in Meghan’s case:

– That the defendant acted dishonestly and in bad faith.

– That the defendant deliberately dug up or stirred up conflict between the claimant and her father.

– That the claimant was distressed by the defendant’s “obvious agenda of publishing intrusive or offensive stories about [her] intended to portray her in a false and damaging light”.

The defendant argued that the allegations were “irrelevant in law, or inadequately particularised, or that it would be disproportionate to litigate the issues raised so that they should be excluded from the scope of the case on case management grounds”.

Mr Justice Warby agreed the allegations should not form part of her case at this stage because they were “irrelevant” to her claim for misuse of private information, copyright infringement and breach of the Data Protection Act.

But he said those parts of her case may be revived at a later stage, if they are put on a proper legal basis.

Original Source