/Worst of the worst repeat offenders with crazy criminal records

Worst of the worst repeat offenders with crazy criminal records

Judges sentencing people for crimes have to take into account a lot of different factors when determining the appropriate punishment.

But this week a serial shoplifter made it perfectly clear he had no interest in hearing a judge’s explanation of how he had reached his final decision.

Liverpool Crown Court heard Kevin Haywood had an eye-watering criminal record, featuring a truly staggering number of previous convictions.

And when Judge Thomas Teague, QC, gave his sentencing remarks, the career criminal moaned: “Oh my God, will you just sentence me?”

For some people, appearing in the dock is a nightmare, one-off scenario.

But for others like Haywood, appearing in court is a relatively routine occurrence due to the life of crime they have fallen into over the years.

The Liverpool ECHO’s court reporters see many people come before the courts with lengthy rap sheets.

Here below are ‘the worst of the worst’ repeat offenders – criminals whose previous convictions number offences reaching 100 and beyond.

Kevin Haywood

Kevin Haywood, 37, of Prescot Road, Old Swan
Kevin Haywood, 37, of Prescot Road, Old Swan

Kevin Haywood broke a Tesco worker’s jaw who tried to stop him stealing bottles of wine.

The 37-year-old claimed he was suffering from alcohol withdrawal when he struck at a Tesco Express in Liverpool city centre.

But the crook, of Prescot Road, Old Swan, ended up hospitalising Louis Robertson in his desperation for booze.

Michael Whitty, prosecuting, said Haywood entered the shop in Skelhorne Street, opposite Liverpool Lime Street Station, at around 7.45am, on September 8 last year.

He took two bottles of wine and when the victim tried to stop him leaving without paying, Haywood struck him with a left hook to the jaw.

Haywood was identified from CCTV footage, but denied theft and inflicting grievous bodily harm, only to plead guilty ahead of a trial.

Referring to Haywood’s criminal record, Mr Whitty said: “It couldn’t be a great deal worse.”

The court heard Haywood had more than 130 previous convictions for more than 240 offences.

These include at least 10 convictions between 2011 and 2020 for assaulting emergency workers or carrying out assaults during thefts.

Later on the same day as the Tesco attack, Haywood carried out two assaults on emergency workers and a “racially aggravated offence”.

He was jailed for 16 months and banned from the shop for three years.

Amanda Welch

Amanda Welch, 45, licked and spat on the windows of a Tesco store
Amanda Welch, 45, licked and spat on the windows of a Tesco store
(Image: Liverpool Echo)

Amanda Welch claimed to have coronavirus when she licked the windows of a Tesco after being suspected of shoplifting.

The 45-year-old was challenged by a security guard at the Tesco Express on Dale Street when she told him “I will stab you in the f***ing head with a needle.”

She was spotted on CCTV entering the store alongside 50-year-old Thomas Wallace on May 2 at around 7am this year.

The security guard told the pair to leave and accompanied them both outside onto Dale Street with a colleague.

She was making a stabbing motion and told the security guard “I will stab you in the f***ing head with a needle”.

Ian Criddle, prosecuting, explained how Welch kicked and spat at the windows, saying she had coronavirus and would give it to staff.

Welch has 32 previous convictions for 121 offences, dating back to 1990, including assaults, dishonesty and public disorder.

She was twice convicted of wounding with intent and repeatedly breached court orders, but until this incident had not been convicted since 2007.

Ms Butler said her drug use escalated because of “traumatic events” and she had numerous health problems, but wanted to come off drugs.

Judge Gary Woodhall handed Welch a prison sentence of seven months in June 2020.

Steven Gorvett

Steven Gorvett, 42, of Winwick Road, Orford
Steven Gorvett, 42, of Winwick Road, Orford
(Image: Liverpool Echo)

Career criminal Steven Gorvett stole iPads meant for the children of essential key workers and said he deserved to go to jail.

His burglary left a primary school with a £4,500 repair bill and pupils, whose parents include brave heroes of the coronavirus crisis, without important educational tools.

The 42-year-old cut himself so badly when he smashed an office window that he left behind pools of his blood.

And that revealed the DNA of the bungling idiot, who has 42 previous convictions for 160 offences.

Gorvett did not have any legal representation in court, but insisted he wished to be sentenced anyway.

The dad-of-two, of Winwick Road, Orford, who admitted burglary and possessing cannabis, said: “All I will say your honour is I really regret what I done and whatever punishment comes I deserve it.”

A judge said he was increasing the starting point for the sentence because of Gorvett’s criminal record and jailed him for two years and four months in June 2020.

Kevin McMullen

Kevin McMullen, 56, of Lister Road, Fairfield, admitted burglary, breaching his CRASBO and breaching four suspended sentences. He was jailed for two and a half years.
Kevin McMullen’s actions were described as “abhorrent”
(Image: Liverpool Echo)

Kevin McMullen stole hand sanitiser, toilet rolls and chocolates donated to brave nurses and doctors at Alder Hey.

The serial burglar has a “horrendous” criminal record, featuring 82 past convictions for 135 offences.

He is subject to a 10-year Criminal Anti-Social Behaviour Order (CRASBO), banning him from all schools, churches and care homes.

The 56-year-old is also not allowed to enter any medical facility, without first making his presence known to its staff.

But on April 7 last year – when subject to four suspended sentences, one for raiding a church – he targeted the children’s hospital.

Liverpool’s courts are some of the busiest in the UK, with a huge variety of cases being heard each week.

To get a behind the scenes look at how they work and the moments that don’t make our stories, subscribe to our free weekly Echo Court Files newsletter, written by court reporters Neil Docking and Lauren Wise.

How do I sign up?

It’s free, easy and takes no time at all.

  1. First just click on this link to our newsletter sign-up centre.
  2. Once you’re there, put your email address where it says at the top, then click on the Echo Court Files button. There are other newsletters available too if you want them as well.
  3. When you’ve made your choice, press the Save Changes button at the bottom.

CCTV footage showed McMullen entering the building in West Derby to steal from the heroes of the coronavirus pandemic.

He was identified by police on the video and arrested at home, when officers discovered items seemingly taken from Alder Hey.

McMullen, of Lister Road, Fairfield, admitted burglary, breaching his CRASBO, and breaching four suspended jail sentences adding up to 20 weeks, imposed in January and March last year.

Judge David Swinnerton said targeting the hospital was an “abhorrent” thing to do and jailed him for two years and four months in May 2020.

Michelle Eccleston

Michelle Eccleston, 38, formerly of Cranfield Road, Norris Green, but now of Brook End, St Helens
Michelle Eccleston, 38, formerly of Cranfield Road, Norris Green, but now of Brook End, St Helens
(Image: Liverpool Echo)

Michelle Eccleston snatched an elderly woman’s purse as she returned home from her first solo shopping trip after suffering a stroke.

The 84-year-old victim was said to be making good progress until the heartless crack and heroin addict struck outside her front door.

A court heard how the cruel theft on March 11 last year had a “huge” impact on the fragile and vulnerable OAP – setting back her recovery.

Eccleston – a 38-year-old grandmother – was on bail at the time of the theft for smuggling cannabis into prison, for the second time.

She followed the OAP to her home in St Helens, at around 9.40am, and grabbed her purse, containing up to £100, but was filmed on CCTV.

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Eccleston, of Brook End, St Helens, admitted theft and conveying a prohibited article into prison.

She was also caught on CCTV on August 28, 2019, when she visited her boyfriend, Frankie Parr, an inmate at HMP Risley in Warrington.

Eccleston was seen to hug Parr then pass him a package, which contained 47g of cannabis in three half ounce deals, along with 72g of tobacco.

The mum of three adult children, formerly of Cranfield Road, Norris Green, has 36 past convictions for 82 offences.

Judge Denis Watson, QC, said the theft from the OAP was a “wicked offence” and jailed her for two years and three months in May 2020.

David Freeman

David Freeman, 38, of Salisbury Street, Everton
David Freeman, 38, of Salisbury Street, Everton
(Image: Liverpool Echo)

David Freeman who wrestled a woman to the ground during a terrifying robbery told a judge he was “disgusted” in himself.

The 38-year-old, of Salisbury Street, Everton, has 45 previous convictions for 111 offences.

They include stabbing an ex-girlfriend in the bottom and trying to rob a newsagent using a bottle of fabric conditioner.

But the grandad-of-one claimed even he was appalled by his latest raid – robbing a store when wearing a Scream mask.

He struck at NSN News in Everton and fought with 49-year-old Sugunakala Navaratnarajah over some cigarettes.

Can you help us keep Merseyside covered?

Freeman fled but when chased by her husband Murandapody Navaratnarajah, stole keys including one to their front door.

He entered the store in Breckfield Road North at around 10pm, on May 10 this year, armed with a piece of plastic.

During the struggle with Mrs Navaratnarajah they both fell to the floor and he knelt on her, leaving her in “severe pain”.

Freeman, who said he was on drink and drugs at the time, admitted robbery and theft.

He was jailed for three years and eight months last July.

Joseph Evers and Thomas Wallace

Joseph Evers leaving court after he was sentenced for burglary
Joseph Evers leaving court after he was sentenced for burglary.
(Image: Liverpool Echo)

Two burglars who smashed their way into a city centre bar were found hiding in a tent after the raid.

Career criminals Joseph Evers and Thomas Wallace targeted All Bar One, in Derby Square.

Evers, 51, of Braermar Close, Whiston, and Wallace, 50, of Leeds Street, Liverpool city centre, stole seven bottles of spirits.

But when police tracked them down, shortly after they struck in the early hours of the morning, the alcohol had already disappeared.

Evers has 49 previous convictions for 82 offences, while Wallace has 99 previous convictions for an astonishing 205 offences.

Police were alerted by an alarm to a burglary taking place at the bar, at 1.22am, on January 25, 2019, after the pair smashed a glass door.

Pictured is Liverpool Crown Court

We have launched a Facebook group to bring you the latest stories from court all in one place.

It will feature reports from Liverpool Crown Court and cases connected to Merseyside.

To join and get updates, click here.

You can also follow our court reporter’s Facebook page.

They stole two bottles of Sambuca, one bottle of Baileys, one bottle of Cockburn’s Port, one bottle of Warner Edwards Victoria’s Rhubarb Gin, one bottle of Bloody Shiraz gin and a bottle of rum, totalling more than £166.

City Watch CCTV cameras picked up the two men heading to the rear of the Tesco Express on the Strand.

Wallace was seen inside a tent under a stairwell, holding a crutch, while Evers was found sitting next to the tent.

However, the alcohol had gone and the only item recovered when the two crooks were arrested was a screwdriver found next to them.

Stories from Liverpool Crown Court

The burglary cost All Bar One nearly £860 in total, including the cost of the spirits, boarding up the window, repairing the door and resetting the alarm, plus the increase to its insurance premium and a loss of business.

Both men admitted burglary.

Wallace was last previously convicted of vagrancy in October 2018 and Evers of assault causing actual bodily harm in January 2017.

Evers received nine months in prison, suspended for 18 months, plus a 20-day Rehabilitation Activity Requirement and a two-month home curfew, from 7pm to 6am daily, in January this year.

Wallace was handed nine months in prison, suspended for 18 months, at a previous hearing.

Original Source