/SnowDome statement after schoolboy, 12, dies in accident

SnowDome statement after schoolboy, 12, dies in accident

The SnowDome will remain shut this weekend after the death of a 12-year-old boy.

The Tamworth tourist attraction announced the temporary closure for September 25 and 26, after the youngster died in an incident at the indoor ski slope.

In the first statement released by the venue since the Friday night tragedy, a spokesperson confirmed an investigation had been launched following an ‘accident’.

READ MORE: Boy, 12, died after ‘incident on slope’ at SnowDome

A statement released on its Facebook page overnight read: “With our sincere apologies the SnowDome will not be open this weekend. This is due to an accident that is being investigated.

“It is for this reason that the venue is closed. When it is possible and appropriate to make further comment then we will surely do so.

“We are truly sorry for the disappointment that this may cause.”

Staffordshire Police outside the Snowdome in Tamworth.
Staffordshire Police outside the Snowdome in Tamworth.

Staffordshire Police earlier said officers were supporting the young boy’s family.

A spokesman for force said: “We were called at 6.40pm this evening (Sept 24) to reports a child had been seriously injured during an activity in the Snowdome in Tamworth.

“Officers attended the location along with ambulance crews who treated a boy at the scene.

“Sadly, the boy, aged 12, died of his injuries shortly afterwards.

“His parents are being supported by officers. Our thoughts are with them.

“A man is also being treated for injuries. We would kindly urge people not to speculate about the incident or share any images/footage there may be.

Staffordshire Police outside the Snowdome in Tamworth.
Staffordshire Police outside the Snowdome in Tamworth.

“The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have been informed of the incident.

“Anyone who has information about the incident can contact us on 101 or via social media ref 665 of 24 September.”

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Ambulance Service last night confirmed two ambulances, two paramedic officers and the Midlands Air Ambulances from Cosford and Staffordshire were sent to the scene.

“On arrival crews found a boy who had suffered very serious injuries,” the WMAS spokeswoman added.

“Staff worked on him providing advanced life support, but sadly, despite all of the efforts it was not possible to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene.”

– Get the latest breaking news direct to your inbox by signing up to our daily newsletter.

Original Source